For the next train, college students will begin by individually creating and analyzing a brand new character (or analyzing an current character). Then with a companion, they’ll provide you with a state of affairs during which the 2 characters would meet and type some kind of relationship.
From there, you may take the work in a large number of instructions. You need to use it for brand new character creation for playwriting or scene work. For instance, for those who’re doing the Superhero Sequence along with your college students, you should use it as a personality evaluation train (how do characters behave when they’re confronted with a distinct character?); you should use it for those who’re feeling caught in a rehearsal rut and need to combine issues up (have college students analyze their characters and work together with a personality they don’t usually work together with); or you should use it as a standalone train.
1. Begin by having college students full the 20 Character Profile Questions train to create a brand new character.
Alternatively, brainstorm an inventory of current characters (Batman, Harry Potter, Katniss Everdeen, The Massive Dangerous Wolf, Luke Skywalker, Dorothy Gale, Lisa Simpson) and have college students analyze them utilizing the identical questions. You’ll be able to both assign every pupil a personality or enable every pupil to pick out a personality to research. Every pupil ought to have a distinct character.
If you’re doing a category manufacturing and need to problem your actors, have college students full this train by analyzing the characters they’re enjoying.
2. Companion college students up by drawing names out of a hat.
3. Have the companions examine their characters and create an inventory of eventualities (purpose for a minimum of 5) during which these two characters would have some kind of relationship.
The character of the connection is as much as the scholars. Typically once we say “relationship,” college students instantly consider a romantic relationship. This doesn’t must be the case. Right here, a relationship merely means “in relation to 1 one other,” or how the 2 characters are linked. Listed below are some concepts on how the characters may have a relationship:
- The characters uncover they’re long-lost siblings.
- One character helps the opposite one do or repair one thing.
- The characters are pen buddies.
- One character teaches the opposite one one thing.
- One character is the opposite one’s boss.
- One of many characters causes the opposite one to have an accident.
- The characters are examine companions in school.
- The characters are having a disagreement however uncover they’ve one thing in widespread.
- The characters work collectively to perform a standard objective (discover treasure, put up a tent, win a basketball event).
- One character entertains the opposite one.
4. From the record of eventualities the companions have provide you with, have them select one state of affairs they like greatest or discover most attention-grabbing. They may use this to carry out a one-minute improvised scene the place the characters meet and type a relationship, or as a playwriting train during which college students write a one-page scene the place the characters meet and type a relationship. (In case your college students are overwhelmed, these location prompts and out of doors prompts may give them some concepts about the place their characters may meet.)
Since there’s a one-minute / one-page restrict, college students must get to the crux of the connection instantly, and it must be very clear.
5. If time permits, have the category both watch the improvised performances or take heed to a studying of the written scenes.
6. Afterward, focus on the relationships as a category:
- What was the connection between the 2 characters?
- Was the connection clear?
- Was it established shortly?
- Did it make sense (even when it was foolish)? Why or why not?
- What labored effectively throughout the scene? What didn’t work?
7. College students will full and submit particular person reflections (discovered beneath).
Kerry Hishon is a director, actor, author and stage combatant from London, Ontario, Canada. She blogs at www.kerryhishon.com.
Need to discover out extra about our latest performs, sources and giveaways?
Get on our record!